Columbia

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Columbia

Post by LazyManc »

May I just say that I feel for the families of the crew of the Columbia space shuttle after this terrible accident, but this is the kind of thing that happens when you spend far more money preparing for an unjust war than on your national space programme.
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

i know that most of you really couldnt give 2 shits about my opinion any more but my view is still that tragedies happen all over the world every day...and just because this one is more expensive and happens thousands of feet above the earth and gets more media coverage. doesnt make it any less of a tragedy than what happens to anyone else

i mean sure its a sad thing that should never have happened and who cant feel sorry for the families of these people...but i dont see forum posts about people who are dying at this very minute in far worse conditions

and i think its selfish that people can think that person X is more deserving of sorrow than person Y just because they have privelidge in there life and will sell more papers with the news of their death

death is certain...its likley these astronaughts died without suffering and i would wager they had quite fulfilling lives with good jobs and a decent education...and lived in relative happiness

but my heart goes out to the people who die in some filthy backwater out of the way place on the earth in a great deal of pain and suffering at the hands of dictatorships whether by starvation or murder or other means, places like iraq where people have died due to saddam husseins actions, and will probably die under actions taken by bush and blair and the rest of the UN

these people deserve your sorrow...yet receive not even a second thought by most of us

thats my 2 cents anyway...sorry if i came off a bit heartless before but i am passionate about these issues

and if you still think my views are unvalid then you can continue as you were, ignore me, ignore what happens in the real world and i hope you have a nice life.

sorry if i inconvenienced you
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Spey m8, i'm sure pretty much anyone with two braincells to rub together would agree with you, but if we all stopped even for a few seconds a day to think about all the problems this world has nothing would ever get done. It'd be great if we could sort this mess out, but people are too greedy, uniterested and selfish as a whole. There are individuals that put everything they have into helping the needy, but that takes a certain type of character that im ashamed to say I dont have, and it would appear the vast majority of people in the west dont either.

Would I like to see famine, war and disease removed from this world? Obviously yes, but i'm just not going to put the serious time and effort required to change things... because quite honestly i'm comfortable as I am, and these problems don't effect me directly except for a nagging on my concience. It feels horrible saying such, but that's the way it is.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I think the point your missing is that no-one has ever said that the shuttle crew are any more worthy of sympathy than someone dying in poverty in Africa.

Yes it's terribly sad that people die all over the place, but if we all grieved over everyone who died tragically then society would grind to a halt and we would never get anywhere.

If some nobody dying in the deepest depths of nowhere carped it and was all over the newspapers, would you be sitting here saying that we don't pay enough attention to the well-off, educated people who work their ass off to advance science and humanity, who put themselves in mortal danger every time they climb on board one of the giant controlled explosions?

You're confusing 'sympathy-worthiness' with 'news-worthiness'.
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

I didnt know these people, they meant nothing to me. It is sad, of course. But not really to me.

What I am really worried about is the damage that may have been caused to the space programme(s) around the world. A big disaster like this could sway public feelings away from the largest project mankind has ever undertaken, a trip to mars. (Which has an estimated budget in the region of 1 trillion dollars.) This will almost certainly affect everybody on the planet, give time.

I just hope the public don't get scared and allow the goverments to downsize the space budget even more.
Moo!
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

so, from talking about how bad this thing the thread has turnded to talking about how big-headded americans are!!!!!!!!!
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!! (you laugh at me cos i'm diferent, i laugh at you cos your all the same!)
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

i think i missed something :? :?
Moo!
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

uatec wrote:I didnt know these people, they meant nothing to me. It is sad, of course. But not really to me.

What I am really worried about is the damage that may have been caused to the space programme(s) around the world. A big disaster like this could sway public feelings away from the largest project mankind has ever undertaken, a trip to mars. (Which has an estimated budget in the region of 1 trillion dollars.) This will almost certainly affect everybody on the planet, give time.

I just hope the public don't get scared and allow the goverments to downsize the space budget even more.
i've read that the bush administration are planning to pump a load of slippery notes into the hands of nasa, this thing was apparently caused by underfunding and lack of maintinence as a result, apparently the cheeky chappie "dubalyaa" bush appointed was a known critic of nasa overspending and implimented some of the cuts, who knows the validity of the above, but it could also be the industry as a whole playing politics through the media, alas the world today.. (the russian navy's been doing it for years :P )

anyway to divert attention from the tradegy over the pond.
hundreds of badgers got run over by cars last year..
can we please take a moment to think of the badgers.
(not in that way pete)
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

uatec wrote:I didnt know these people, they meant nothing to me. It is sad, of course. But not really to me.

Tbh I don't really care if we get to Mars in my lifetime, although it is inevitably going to happen. Does it have any real bearing on the future of mankind? Maybe so, but what the hell are we going to do there? Saying that it's the most inhabitable planet in the solar system is like saying that the 'cooler' bits of the sun are more habitable than the rest.

And besides all that, when we do get to Mars, I'd rather it was a British (ok, realistically, an international) effort that got there, not American.
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

Tbh I don't really care if we get to Mars in my lifetime, although it is inevitably going to happen. Does it have any real bearing on the future of mankind? Maybe so, but what the hell are we going to do there?
shotgun on the first mars cornershop

"spaceways" (trademark pending)

edit : just to be safe, dont want you swines nicking my best laid plans
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

Seven Americans died. Boo Hoo. Yes, spaceflight is more of a global concern, but the accident could've been averted if they'd taken more of the recommendations from the Challenger Disaster on board. The fact that they're still using the same archaic delivery system beggars belief.
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

And besides all that, when we do get to Mars, I'd rather it was a British (ok, realistically, an international) effort that got there, not American.
even if it is an international effort the americans wil still claim its theirs,
the amreican president will anounce it to the world when we do get there.
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!! (you laugh at me cos i'm diferent, i laugh at you cos your all the same!)
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

It will have to be an international effort. There is only 6 trillion dollars in america anyway, i dont think anybody would be willing to spend a 6th of their entire countries money on any single thing..

Although, you are right, expect that the US president would probably claim it as his.

Interesting fact (according to a book writen by an american): It took something like 6 months for george W bush to turn the whole world against the US.
Moo!
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

You can't slag the Americans off for being proud of their achievments in space, there's only the Russians that even come close, but they're still a long way behind. If they're willing to stump up the vast majority of cash for things like the international space station then I say let them have their big heads and pats on the back.

As for the validity of space travel, personally i'm all for it, an urge to discover things is one of the better traits that differentiate us from the rest of the mammals. The benefits don't come directly from getting to mars or the moon, but from the development of technology required to achieve that goal. I'm sure plenty of people asked Columbus (or Scott, or Livingston) why he was risking his life on something that wasn't necessary. Space is one of the last few undertakings that doesn't revolve arround the accumulation of wealth or conquest, and sooner or later it's gonna come in handy because the Earth isn't going to be around forever, and it'd be nice to think we could outlast our home.
Chief
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Chief »

space travel = good mmkay.
war = bad mmkay.
death = bad mmkay.
technological development = good mmkay
religion = bad mmkay
politics = bad mmkay
greed = bad mmkay
fundamentalism / extreemism = bad mmkay
tatu = good mmkay
america = needs to get off its high horse mmkay
britian = rules ok?
mars = mine.
dav

Post by dav »

just to say that i don't think that these astronauts deserve any extra respect than any other person who dies, in the end it was there job to fly up into space and they knew when they took on the job that it may have risks.

They will have life insurance so their family's don't have to live without their money, and also when they were alive the astronautes will have been paid more than the average person anyway.

Also i think that America put's quite a few million dollars into space exploration and they should consider what they are actually gaining from it all.
Last edited by dav on Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

dav wrote:just to say that i don't think that these astronauts deserve any extra
Also i think that America put's quite a few million pounds .
firstly i expect if u look at the stats then more policemen die each year than astronauts, do they get a whole topic on the sg lan every time one of them die???
and also i think that the americans would prefere it if u said it was millions of dollars.
dav

Post by dav »

fabian wrote:
dav wrote:just to say that i don't think that these astronauts deserve any extra
Also i think that America put's quite a few million pounds .
firstly i expect if u look at the stats then more policemen die each year than astronauts, do they get a whole topic on the sg lan every time one of them die???
and also i think that the americans would prefere it if u said it was millions of dollars.
my point was that they shouldn't get any special treatment, also i never started the thread, i belive they were just doing a job and should get no extra respect.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Like I said before, the reason you don't hear about coppers, fish-mongers, buskers or whatever dying, is that IT ISN'T NEWS!!!

When a multimillion dollar spacecraft breaks up doing mach 18 at 200,000ft over Texas on a beautiful sunny morning, leaving long white trails that anyone within 100 miles can see, and then raining debris down over an area the size of Hampshire, then it IS NEWS.

/me hums and hahs for while.
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

<houses of parliament>Hear!</houses of parliament>