For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Eve...again

Post by mid_gen »

Been playing for a coupla months now...

Eve rocks. It's definitely gone well ahead of Anarchy Online and Jumpgate (I don't go for fantasy mmorpgs).

The combat is far more involved than AO, which was tbh, pretty shite.

The number of things to take into consideration is spot on. Normal Combat scenario (two gunships):
  • See enemy
    Right click enemy, select lock target
    Locking takes several seconds depending on your ship and skills, opponent is doing exactly the same at this point.
    Proceed to optimal range.
    Let the guns fly.
    Try to stay at your guns optimal range.
    Try to keep your shield up with shiel boosters/hardeners.
That was the most basic scenario....say I bumped into a Moa (good gunship), in my blackbird (electronic warfare ship).
  • See enemy,
    Lock target,
    Start heading for stasis webifyer/warp scrambler range,
    Engage target jammers, prevent opponent from targetting.
    Target is a sitting duck, engage webifiers/scramblers.
    Now what, torpedoes or guns...hmm, depends how I feel.
At this point, several things could happen....

First, I could proceed to kick the guys ass (or maybe ask him for a few million isk to spare his life)

Second, He could engage some sensor boosters and get a target lock on me (this is bad, he's sitting at near optimal railgun range)

Third, some of his friends could turn up...again...this is bad

Anyway I'm rambling. The point and click interface may seem to make combat over-simplified at first, but there is so much depth to it, sooo much depth.

The way that you train your skills in realtime rocks. You can play for a few minutes every day and still have the same skills as a 24/7 beard.

The only PVP safe zone is a station when you are docked. Anywhere else is fair game, and not always entirely fair. Player pirates corporations are all over the place. You can try hard to avoid pirates (like I do, I've not been killed once), but there is the ever-present fear that a pirate might pop up on your local channel and be waiting for you at a jumpgate. I had to go 29 jumps to my new hq earlier, this would normally be pretty dull, but becuase I had to keep a very careful eye out for enemy corps, it was tense stuff. Scared some little corp who were flying frigates on the way :)

Lazymanc, get this game now and just start training skills up, you know you'll be playing it when we get back to uni anyway....do it now..

My corp (with a bunch of the HL guys who come to shotgun) has recently joined the Venal Alliance, a big conglomeration of corporations, and we now stake an entire system as our own and kill anyone who breeches our space....fluffin rocks tbh :)

Urr, yeah....eve is good, buy it 8)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I didn't even mention missiles or drones in any depth, or security ratings, or the free market, or manufacturing, or researching, or ship types, or races, or special items and drops....

The games scope is magnificent....give it a go :)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

I take it they've solved all the crappy lag problems that existed in the beta?

Is it still almost impossible to make any kind of money when you first start off?

These were my major 2 gripes with eve, if they've been fixed then I might be interested in playing again...
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

There are no lag problems anymore, 99% of crash/stuck bugs are gone (never happened to me).

You can start off in a basic ship, earn enough mining in a high security sector to get a new ship in a couple of hours.

If you mine in a team with a group of people mining and jettisoning ore into cargo canisters with one person ferrying it to a station in an industrial ships you can start to make millions easy.

My main method of making money is going to be either holding up other players for cash, or sitting on npc spawns collecting loot and bounties. Once you get a good cruiser there's not a lot of point mining (although in a thorax with a bunch of mining drones you can push 2 mil an hour solo)

The overall game balance is pretty spot on these days...

£17.99 from play, get it now and start training :)
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Not played it since my ADSL died in FUCKING JANUARY. I just constantly got my ass kicked the second I left a station. We move back to the UK in the middle of next month. Fingers crossed for Broadband. Anyone have a link to the GIVE ME BROADBAND BT YOU BASTARDS website... :?:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

/me watches the latest installment in Mike's broadband saga with more than a little humour.

K
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

It actually plays fine on 56k. It needs to be reliable though, as an untimely disconnect will almost certainly be the end of your ship. I never even undock from station if I'm logged on via my shite crackly phone-line.

Eve has gone through every MMOG's first few months of shite-ness, it's a nicely balanced, interesting game.

One thing I really like is that there is no 'best' weapon, 'best' ship, or 'best' module. You can fight effectively in a variety of roles. AO in particular irritated the shit out of me because for each class there was always only ONE weapon and ONE kind of armour that was worth wearing, pants tbh. The weapon balance in eve rocks :)

In case you're wondering why I'm rattling on about it...it's cos I'm sat in stratfield saye on a shit modem line, not able to play the game :'(

AO was always a case of 'ah-ha, I've got a new gun, now I can....shoot bigger NPCs...yay?' WTF is the point in playing an MMORPG if all you do is shoot computer-controlled characters?

In eve you get the satisfaction of knowing that some guy somewhere is beating his keyboard swearing when you take them out :) But it's not 'griefing' because it's such an integral part of the game. It's strength is that you cannot be safe *anywhere*.

Go on manc, buy it, and train your gunnery and cruiser skills up to a decent level, that'll take a week and half. Do some more training before we get back to uni and you'll be able to come and kick ass with the rest of us when we get back to uni :D

Incidentally, one of our corp members was involved in a gate-camping incident today, and thus sparked a big argument between some of the biggest corps in the game....but was settled peacefully in the end. The free market and player-killing makes this game rock so much tbh :)

Moo...

or should that be M0O?
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Kulgan wrote:/me watches the latest installment in Mike's broadband saga with more than a little humour.

K
You just know I'm going to be to far away from the exchange... :evil:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
GlimmerMan
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by GlimmerMan »

I have 2 Battleships, 2 Cruisers, an Indy, countless rare items (including Miner IIs), 50 million isk, 2.5 million skill points and I'm an officer in one of the strongest corps in the game.

I ROCK! :P
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

My blackbird will pwn your ass tbh glimmer.

Sod's law mind....

I put two 250 rails on my blackbird earlier to try em out. They used all my power so I had to disable all my ECM/ECCM. It was only two jumps to where I had my reactor control units, I figured I'd be fine.

So of course, I had my first run-in with a pirate. Guy in a Dominix scrambled me and demanded 500k. I paid, and left.

If I hadn't put the 250 railers in, I could justa kicked in the stabilisers and got the hell outta there. (Or jammed him and let him have a few salvoes of torpedoes, but tis a pretty slim chance I could have taken him down)

Nm, good fun though :) Game wouldn't be interesting if you didn't get stitched up occasionally.
GlimmerMan
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by GlimmerMan »

Thats cos you had your ship set up wrong! :P
Blackbirds are not gun boats, they are support ships that should be using EW (electronic warfare) and stuff to boost their shields and armour only.
I guess you know that tho since you mentioned EW hardware. Just bad luck that he caught you using your ship in a manner other than directed. :wink:
My main ship is a gun boat, I'm flying a ship with tachyon beam lasers at 6.3 damage mod & 2.75 seconds rate of fire (rof), with a few heavy modulated energy beams for backup, 7.5 damage mod & 2.2 rof. My ship is designed to destroy other ships fast, but the beauty of the game is that Mid_gen in his cruiser could totally stop me dead in space, his ship could lock down my my warp and conventional drives, as well as scramble my targeting, leaveing me sitting is space totally crippled. Even if he had guns on he'd not be able to kill me, but his small ship would have totally disabled me. EVE is all about team work, my corp has lots of ships of all types, I can rely on our EW boats to lockdown the enemy EW ships, and they can rely us the big guns to deal massive damage.
Which is what makes EVE great, working as a team to kill the enemy scum. :)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Aye, I was just seeing what I would be hitting for with 250s, was just going two jumps.

In caldari space, soling I fit two heavy blasters with anti-matter, two heavy launchers, both with torpedos (and cruise missiles once I get a bp), 2 webifiers, two scramblers, two gravimetric jammers.

I can lock down any non-eccm enabled caldari cruiser so it's dead in the water. Couple of mjolnir torps rip their shields away then the blasters finish the job.

For team hunting I'll fit whatever jammers the group needs, we've got a few bb pilots, so we always have at least one person at each gate able to lock down a target.

Was fun player-pirate hunting last night, communication was a bit of a mess, so we missed out on an easy kill of a scorpion. Ran round lonetrek/pure blind attacking anyone with a bounty for a few hours, then chain-killed a spawn.

Although there are monster battleships in this game (which we do have a couple of, although ppl are just finishing up the skill training for them), one of the other nice things about the game is that a well co-ordinated team of two cruisers usually can lock down and take out a battleship. Three cruisers, no problem, so long as you have an EW ship to lock em down.

Game rocks :)
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

got this last night and signed up, im a caldiri, only managed a couple of hours due to the england game but was well impressed and reading above it's all starting to make sense and sitting at work at 12:30 my mouths watering, i just wanna play more and put my hours in :)

one gripe tho.. i was doing the mining tutorial at the start, it says that once i've completed the tutorial it'll give me insurance to replace the ship everytime i get destroyed.. the tutorial finished with me jettisonning the mined cargo and then a [back] i jettesonned it, came to a halt and ... nothing! my ibis couldnt pick it up so after a while i just thought sod it.. and found out (quite easily) how to warp to the space academy.. i dont know now if im "insured" or not.. when i got into the space station i went through the reprocessing tutorial and noticed i was 10 verendor (or sommink like that) off 333 units to refine.. so i just went out of the space station warped somewhere (in the middle of a load of training drones who tried to blast the hell out of me --.. talk about learning how to fight back quick!!!) then i warped somewhere else that just happened to be a asteroid patch :) so i mined away, filled up my hold and went back to the space station, completed the tutorial and got myself patched up in the process :) i must say though.. the first time you leave the spacestation you get overwhelmed by the fact that your not alone in this game and there are other people flying around you that dont want to kill you :) it's great.

reckon tonight im gonna get some drone training done, then get some drones. mine myself some more ore and maybe buy a second ship.. maybe an industrial one.

:) this game does truly rock!

further to add, im playing this game on a 21inch monitor at 1600X1200 and it still seems squashed, so tonight im taking home a DVI -dual VGA splitter and putting another 2 monitors on :) 3 monitor setup? oh yeh!
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by DjArcas »

Ooo, mining!
http://www.projectorgames.co.uk

The biggest multiplayer games in the world. Ever.
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

i give you that, it can get monotonus, but it can be fun when your working with a few ppl..
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

About time to resurrect an old thread. Hopefully, finally, maybe getting broadband (that's if BT haven't lied to me again :x ).

I have had a good look round the Eve website and it does look like a cool game, but, would you buy it now? Do you all have the same wonderful opinion of the game you had a few months ago?

Cheers
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Yeah it's still a great game. I'm kinda stuck in limbo at the moment until I get a new ship, I lost my battleship to a moment of utter stupidity the other day and I'm decided what to replace it with :)
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

That's good to hear, I must admit after the galleon fights at the last SG I quite like the idea of being a pirate! Looting and plundering have always appealed to me :twisted:

The important questions are of course can you get a space parrot? Or maybe a cybertronic peg leg?
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

i'll have a look tonight if you wish B.A.W, however im not holding out for much tho..

"in space no one can hear you scream..."
*clink clink clink*SQUARK
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

Damm it! What's the point :)

May be if I just think up a cool pirate name for my avatar....

*Engage semi-serious mode*
Is the PvP any good? What's the community like? Is it best to be in a corporation? Will I get laughed at if I make pirate noises?