Battlefield : Vietnam

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Battlefield : Vietnam

Post by mid_gen »

It rocks by the way...cruising towards enemy positions in a huey with Ride of the Valkyries playing, simply rocks :D
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

i will purchase and play post haste. is it still the same deal regarding cd-keys?
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

Still bloody waiting for my copy of UT2004 to arrive. I'll be out to buy BF: Vietnam before the next SG!!
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

oh thats right.. 2 essential purchases to get :S theres too much at the moment.. evex2, pgr2, cm03/04, dc, pes3 and now dc and ut2k4..

just not enough hours in the day.

(hey, anyone hear that PES3's coming to the XBox :D )
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

If you've got an ATI card you might want to wait till after they release a patch, atm it's fux0red.

And the balance is completely FUBAR as well, the USA get a class who carries an M60 (which is deadly accurate at full range and while moving) AND a LAW launcher as well.... its a one man army. The NVA get a 10 shot non-automatic rifle with their anti tank weapon, and the NVA machine gun sucks ass.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Most people don't have problems with ATI cards, I've got flickering black ground textures which is a bit annoying but doesn't stop me playing.
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

hehe.. off to get it at lunch me thinks.. thank god i gots me lappy on me today.
danwilkie
pe0n
pe0n

Post by danwilkie »

I bought it yesterday - its ace :)
Dan Wilkie
Recruit - E Coy, 122nd Rifle Volunteers!
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

LazyManc wrote:If you've got an ATI card you might want to wait till after they release a patch, atm it's fux0red.

And the balance is completely FUBAR as well, the USA get a class who carries an M60 (which is deadly accurate at full range and while moving) AND a LAW launcher as well.... its a one man army. The NVA get a 10 shot non-automatic rifle with their anti tank weapon, and the NVA machine gun sucks ass.
Yeah, the game balance does seem off. Reviews don't look too promising. Certainly not worthy of paying fullwhack at retail for.
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

nah feck off.. deffo worth it. mind youm ATI bugs, not enough maps and weapon balencing problems, but the server managers cool and the choppers are excellent.

Ribbo
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

They're not as nice as the DC choppers, they've been n00bified :(

There's no weight behind em and the controls feel spongy in relation to DC.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

As I am sure many of you are aware, there have been a number of issues with the DICE/EA full release version of Battlefield:Vietnam.

We are currently undertaking final testing on a patch for the product, which will be released this Friday (3-26), and will include the following fixes that have been suggested by the community :

* Implementation of a GUI voting system similar to that included in the 1.6 patch for Battlefield:1942

* The M60 (US) machine gun will only be useable while the player is prone.

* It has been noted that "vehicle camping" is a problem within the online community for Battlefield:Vietnam. Therefore, in our first patch for the product, players inactive in movement for longer than 15 seconds, within a vehicle spawn radius, will suffer the same health penalty as if leaving the combat zone.

* Fixes to the ATI graphics cards that have suffered problems. Similar graphical fixes shall be given to users of MX/Ti range NVidia graphics cards. Hopefully this will remove the various problems users of these cards have had while playing the product.

* It has become apparent that several of the sound (gunfire/explosions) effects are not to many people's likings. Work has been done on upgrading these sounds and, upon the release of the v1.1 patch, the in game sounds shall be more authentic than at present.

A number of other minor fixes will also be implemented, and we will be releasing another patch in the not too distant future should you inspire us with your ideas.
Rah :D
danwilkie
pe0n
pe0n

Post by danwilkie »

Which should make an excellent game into a fantastic game :)

I've just bought a GeForce Fx 5900 Ultra to do the game justice, coz its just not the same on my Mx :cry:
Dan Wilkie
danwilkie
pe0n
pe0n

Post by danwilkie »

LazyManc wrote:There's no weight behind em and the controls feel spongy in relation to DC.
To be fair though, you couldn't expect a 40 year old Huey to handle like a apache or an MD500... Its not a dedicated gunship after all...

Besides, on DC I like to think I'm now quite proficient at flying the helicopters, I can fly flat out through the canyons on Gazala, under a bridge, pop up and turn round, empty a few hellfires into the back of a crossing tank and carry on without stopping and without presenting a target, but can I land the bloody things? No I cannot... At least I can on Vietnam, besides it looks really cool when you're falling back and you see a rescue huey come sliding to a halt in front of you (admittedly normally just before it gets taken out in the crossfire and kills you with the blast, but hey ho!) 8)
Dan Wilkie
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Remind me to have you near me next time I get fragged in BFV... :wink:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

I just meant that in DC each helo feels like it looks, the littlebird is responsive and twitchy, the blackhawk is quite heavy and labourous, and the apache falls somewhere in between.

In BF:V the huey and the chinook feel almost identical to fly, even tho one is quite clearly 3-4 times the size of the other. I don't expect the huey to be particularly manoueverable, it's just that it feels like there are bunch of flying aids keeping you in the air.
danwilkie
pe0n
pe0n

Post by danwilkie »

Yeah, but not everyone foudn the DC ones easy. If you're the bloke who was at last shotgun doing the "godlike flying" then my cap comes off to you, but they required real skill and loads of practice to even get them in the air, whereas the vietnam ones are, I'd guess, designed more for rookie gamers rather than hardcore helo pilots ;)

Besides, the DC ones aren't flawless. Sometimes I can be flying along and it'll suddenly pitch towards the ground with no hope of recovery, stall, and burn.

Which isn't good.

Most upsetting in fact.

Especially when you're showing off how good you are in the helo's to your mate :oops:
Dan Wilkie
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

I think the "godlike" person you're refering to is Army. I haven't played BFV yet but I was dis-appointed to here the helo's are easy to fly. I like the way the DC ones handled and once you get good you can really show off :D
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Bah, looks like that patch notice was a hoax, the guy who posted it on the EA forums wasn't even a member of staff.

Looks like we'll have to wait a lot longer for real one :(