For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

BullDogFan
pe0n
pe0n

Children's Isolation Ward Network

Post by BullDogFan »

Hello,

A while ago, I received a phone call from a Children's Hospital; their PR person wanted to know if our company would be interested in donating a computer networking system that would allow about 20 children kept in isolation to communicate with each other, watch movies "together" on line, to see each other via video conferencing, etc. In short, a system that would allow these kids to be kids.

As it turned out, my company couldn't help; we just didn't have the spare time or resources. But I never forgot that call.

Now I'm in an MIS class for an MBA program. I'm supposed to design a system for a project, and I thought this would be a worthwhile project. It would be hypothethical, but at least I'd know what such a system might cost. Maybe then I could turn the idea over to a Rotary Club and let them work their fund raising magic.

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion as far as the network. Wireless is out; hospitals require all systems to be hard wired because they're scared to death about frequency interference.

Could I go with an ethernet LAN? The dstances are not far: 10 rooms on one side of a corridor, 10 rooms on the other side of the corridor.

I got the impression they wanted a closed workgroup kind of set up. I don't think they want these kids surfing the Web; they're isolated enough already. The goal I think is to put these kids together, in a virtual sense, for movie watching, e mails, game playing, etc.

With that in mind, would I need an internet connection to create an intranet or BB for them?

As you can tell, I'm not a computer person. But if I had an idea of how to start mentally designing this system I can price out the components.

Thanks to all,

Dan
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »