learning:>

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

biggles

learning:>

Post by biggles »

its decision time! with my mock exams in 2weeks, i have to think about the unthinkable.....

i was just wondering what college/uni courses you have done/doing/hoping to do,

i want to know what routes are there, so that i can see what one might be suitable for me, and the first person to ask "what do you want to be when im older?" will loose something very dear to them....cos i havent got a bloody clue.

i was thinking....

psychology.
maths.
physics.
computing.

as the best route, but i really do not want to do maths, any ideas guys?
also i have no idea what kinds of courses universitys offer so any info on that would be cool, thanks.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

You don't have to have a specific job to work towards, but a general direction would be handy. As far as I can see, there are two options:

1. pick something you're interested in
2. pick something you're good at

Usually it ends up being the same thing anyway, or at least overlapping a little.

Me n' Mid are doing a Computer Games Design degree but now i'm two years into it im thinking i'd have been much better off doing a standard computing degree at a better uni. One thing I overlooked was the location, you don't want to be stuck in a miserable grotty town like Hull for 3 years, so choose wisely. Anywhere with a large student population will be cool, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester etc...
biggles

Post by biggles »

games design soumds wkd. i really have no idea but computers and programming.
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

i think something like this is something you are going to need to decide for yourself...life decisions arent made on forum posts :/

if your interested in doing computing stuff tho i advise seeking "proper" qualification as opposed to the usual college based nvq stuff, as they are utter wank and teach you nothing..i wasted 2 years learning how to turn a computer on and set a few tabs in word...

my GCSE's were harder than that

personally i am taking an MCSE at this very moment...and i reccomend either doing it or somthing of a similar standard (CCNA N+ etc) if you plan on getting a job in computer engineering

...programming on the other hand i have no clue
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.
biggles

Post by biggles »

can anyone point me at a computing careers adviser? should i go down to the job centre, i seriously have no idea.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Aren't most schools equipped for this kind of thing?
Paladin
pe0n
pe0n

Good uni's..

Post by Paladin »

biggles wrote:can anyone point me at a computing careers adviser? should i go down to the job centre, i seriously have no idea.
Howdy,

Some good universities for Computing are:

Imperial College, London (where myself, Kulgan and Mr Hair currently drink bee.. uh, study :)
York
Manchester
Southampton
Cambridge
Warwick

If you want to go into computing properly (even if you don't know anything now) then a degree course would not be a bad way to go.
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

mid_gen wrote:Aren't most schools equipped for this kind of thing?

sadly no...

i wasted 2 years in college to learn things i knew before i started

only now after another 2 years of shit jobs im finally doing an MCSE and getting a qualification that actually qualifies you to some degree

the sort of college level computing courses available atm is the sort of thing i would have my mum take...they come from the standpoint there teaching IT to people who have never even seen a pc
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Re: Good uni's..

Post by rib? »

Paladin wrote:
biggles wrote:can anyone point me at a computing careers adviser? should i go down to the job centre, i seriously have no idea.
Howdy,

Some good universities for Computing are:

Imperial College, London (where myself, Kulgan and Mr Hair currently drink bee.. uh, study :)
York
Manchester
Southampton
Cambridge
Warwick
quote]

you dare come down to southampton biggles and i'll make sure all your computers get conviscated. We'll be having no visitors here now.
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Spey wrote:
mid_gen wrote:Aren't most schools equipped for this kind of thing?

sadly no...

i wasted 2 years in college to learn things i knew before i started

only now after another 2 years of shit jobs im finally doing an MCSE and getting a qualification that actually qualifies you to some degree

the sort of college level computing courses available atm is the sort of thing i would have my mum take...they come from the standpoint there teaching IT to people who have never even seen a pc
I was referring to careers advice rather than a good IT education ;) I got careers advice rammed down my throat for at least 3 years before I finished me GCSEs

Biggles, if you don't want to go to one of those 'good' universities, you could always come to the University of Lincoln and waste 3 years of your life, continuing only in the hope you can get a 1st and make the letters after your name actually worth something :P
biggles

Post by biggles »

hehe, this is not a slate the system thread:P

just got back from the sixth form (farnborough) and as soon as i have my predicted grades i will be making an application form for physics, maths, biology and computing,

they all look like fun:> but then of course for university, southhampton is perfect, near relatives, london is ok, reading are the top college in britain for A.I apparently, it all depends on what interests me during my a levels, BUT, unlike primary school, universitys want MONEY?!!??!?! mum says that thye will be able to support me a little, but i have no clue where i could get the rest of the money from, and i really just do not want to take out a students loan, i suppose i could rent my room for storage or something......
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Unless you can find another way of raising £4,000 a year (the max loan (ish)), you're gonna have to use the student loan. The interest is so low you can make money on it if you don't spend it (although that's technically 'very naughty'), and it's dead easy to pay off afterwards. I've been at uni for 2 and a bit years and I owe the student loans company £8,500. You get used to debt. Quickly.
biggles

Post by biggles »

ouch, very ouch.

sigh, 4grand a year is a lot of money:<
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

It buys a whole lotta beer :twisted:
biggles

Post by biggles »

is that ALL you think about?

what a levels did you do mid? what uni are you going to, and what were the course requirements for your game design thingy?
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

You *Really* don't want to come here...but...

Requirements are 10 points, but in reality the money-grabbing wretches will take whoever comes.

I got (poor :oops: ) A-levels in biology, chemistry and maths.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

There's no way you can afford to live away from home without a student loan. You'd be suprised how much just your day to day living costs are. Add to that all the cool shit you'll want to buy, and the idea of being able to loan a couple of grand a year and not have to pay it back for quite some time becomes increasingly attractive.
biggles

Post by biggles »

how much time are you "learning", is there oppurtunity for part time jobs?
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

biggles wrote:ouch, very ouch.

sigh, 4grand a year is a lot of money:<

no it's not, it used to be a months take home when i used to be a contractor... (note the expression USED TO BE - if ever you see me at a bar :) )

rib?
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

I think it'll depend on the course. The joke of an education we're getting here in Hull requires minimal involvement, so I could work 3 or 4 days a week and still be fine. If you ask Pete though im sure it'll be a different story.