SG 20 - Sept 2006 - Just when you thought it was safe...

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

SG 20 - Sept 2006 - Just when you thought it was safe...

Post by PeteTheHair »

As sent earlier via email - I may come back later and sort the formatting out to make it look nice... Or not ;)

Pete
Well, here we are again then.

This mail is really a bit of a long shot, as a great many of you will have changed email addresses, or just plain lost interest in us by now, but the long-promised Shotgun 20 is officially go for launch.

We're now almost a full 2 years on from the last event, and much as I'd love to tell you that we've spent all that time planning the best LAN EVAR(!!!!!), we've had a lot of other things to do :)

With all this time between events, I was tempted to run a "phoenix rising from the ashes" kind of theme here, until I realised that LANs didn't leave ashes, just large-ish piles of rubbish... It'd run something like...

-----------------

The book of Monket, Chapter 20, Verses 1-7

It had long been fortold that the Monket would rise once more, and wreak havoc upon the Lee of Badshot and associated areas. Fire, brimstone and Doritos would fall from the sky, and many would pray for a lack of flooding.

And so it came to pass. From beneath the Red Bull cans of a thousand lesser LANs, a rumbling was heard. The monket was summoned. He did rise from beneath the shells of discarded McMuffins, and cardboard conveyances of the fine brew of Starbucks.

And so too, the guardian of the channel was called. And the guardian did say "< Failed Auth >". "Arse,", the administrators did say, "Who can control this beast". And there was much undignified buggering about, trying of old passwords, and hassling of QuakeNet ops, until Q did speak. "+o"

-----------------

All a bit less polished than we might hope for...

What we really want to say is "Come Along". We're hoping to have a bit of an SG revival, and it'd be great to see everyone again. If you know anyone who's been along previously, do give them a shout and make sure they got this message... As I say, I reckon a fair few of the email addresses this goes to will be inactive, and we want to reach as many people as we can.

If you can't make it to the event, at least drop by the site and say "Hi"... The forums are always open, and it'd be cool to find out what everyone's been up to.

The basic details, then:

Event - Shotgun 20
Dates - Friday, 15th September -> Sunday, 17th September, 2006 Location - TSS Swiftsure, Badshot Lea, Aldershot Price - Once more, the SG Standard of £15 pre-paid, £20 on the day

The finer points:
Event -
Shotgun 20. None of this dodgy Shotgun XX. 2 years has been a long time, but I'm still not having anything even vaguely Mac-related associated with this event, thankyou very much. ;)

Dates -
15-17 September. We're not yet sure of opening times and stuff, as we all have real jobs now, and getting there too early may be a challenge. Keep an eye on the site for details.

Location -
TS Swiftsure, Badshot Lea, Aldershot - Where it always is. Can't get an exact fix with Google Maps, but it's about here (just on the other side of the road) - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... =UTF8&om=1

Price -
£15 in advance, £20 on the day. We're getting the prepay stuff sorted out at the minute... Details will be posted to the site when available, though it'll most likely be Paypal or similar. Cash only on the day, folks. If you're only coming for part of the event, give us a shout and we can come to an arrangement, I'm sure.

Further Information -
You can get hold of us in the following ways:
* Reply to this email - I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP
* Web - The site and forums are always available at www.shotgunlan.com
* IRC - #shotgunlan on Quakenet (irc.quakenet.org). Feel free to hassle an op :)
* MSN - pete-passport@shotgunlan.com - Please don't use this address for email though.

All details and more will be kept updated at www.shotgunlan.com, so keep an eye out. Those who rely on RSS as part of day to day life may find www.shotgunlan.com/forums/rss.php handy too (I fixed it this morning ;) ).

Well, that's all I got - Get in touch, folks, and we really hope to see you all there :)
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
Paladin
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Paladin »

Huzzah!
Shadow
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Shadow »

W00t!
Ze Wolverine
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Ze Wolverine »

YYYYEEESSS!

It lives!
I am the master of your doom. Stare into my shotgun, baby.

:D
Heretic
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Heretic »

WOOOHOO!!!

:twisted:

Bring on the gamin'!!

Cheers, Ian
Shadow
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Shadow »

Hmmm, now what did Pete do with that "LAN attendance" button...?.. :roll:

:D
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

Ah, yeah...

The signup system's changed again :)

Nick seems to believe that every time someone modifies phpBB, God kills a kitten, so just head over to the players page for details.

That said, I should probably remove that stuff from the user profile pages on the phpBB templates :)

Cheers folks
Pete
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

it's no longer god kills a kitten, its "makes baby jesus cry" get with it ffs, your so september last year!
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
-------------------------------------------------
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

Hurrah! Long overdue.
GlimmerMan
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by GlimmerMan »

About time! :D
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

I have always had a proper job you gimps...

Me and the boy are go for this, he's 9 now... :shock:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
Ironballs
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Ironballs »

Well colour me surprised another shotgunlan.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
Shadow
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Shadow »

Titty biscuits!!!

Upon trying to sign up for the event I was greeted by this, which I thought was particularly apt due to it's placement on top of the comment about the kludged signup system :D

"Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/hosting/web/shotgun/www.shotgunlan.com/players.php on line 27
Ah, another event, another kludged together signup system ;)"

The power of the hair is indeed as strong as it ever was... :wink:
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

Joy!

More top quality code there from the SGLAN stable... Who here really believes that I get paid to write software for a living? ;)

My official explanation for this bug is that we don't like you. We were trying to be subtle, but you pushed us. Clearly it's not a problem with my code :)

Anyway, I've added some checking code, so that if/when this happens again, I can find out why, and we'll see how it goes. I've added you to the signup list anyway, so you don't need to be worrying.

Cheers for letting us know (and for the remarkably useful paste of the error)... Hopefully it'll be OK from now.
Pete
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by DjArcas »

GlimmerMan wrote:About time! :D
This coming from the one man who never made it TO the lans?

I'm free that weekend, but it's a hell of a trek now.
http://www.projectorgames.co.uk

The biggest multiplayer games in the world. Ever.
GlimmerMan
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by GlimmerMan »

DjArcas wrote:
GlimmerMan wrote:About time! :D
This coming from the one man who never made it TO the lans?

I'm free that weekend, but it's a hell of a trek now.
I've been to every one I could including the first dozen or so straight. Being at the other end of the country did kind of get in the way of the last few, but now I'm based back in Basingstoke.

Glad to see you haven't lost your trait of overt confrontation! :wink:

Are you still doing your PG thing?
Rav0r
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Rav0r »

8) yay!
Wire
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Wire »

Excellent, might even manage to bring some peeps from work.
Wire
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Wire »

ps. can you get doom 3 for Mac?
Wire
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Wire »

Why can I post but the player sign up says that I'm not signed in?