Problems with FAT

Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

icarus
pe0n
pe0n

Problems with FAT

Post by icarus »

Hello to all the great minds out there........ 8)

Recently launched new aircraft in FS 2002 to observe it going totally nuts and ripping across the aerodrome .. the PC crashed (as well as the new plane..) but it is not unusual for FS 2002 to hang up.

On reboot the resultant blue scan disk screen refused to scan and soon a note was posted to the effect that "Scandisk had encountered data error while reading FAT in drive C.." Running a thorough scan produced the result that while some errors had been fixed there was damage that scandisk could not repair.. I cannot defrag and this is necessary prior to a large install planned.

Do I throw the PC away, take out a bank loan, or take a dive into the Basingstoke Canal?

Actually, the PC is running very well apart from this problem

Ath 1700 XP/ Geforce 3/ 512 Megachunks RAM/ the hard drive was 60 giggles but now could be anything...........oh and its run by W98 SE.

Would appreciate help on this - is it a fixable thing d'ya think or how the heck do I find out the root problem, as scandisk only tells me that I have a problem..

Thanks guys
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Re: Problems with FAT

Post by Phaliure »

icarus wrote:Do I throw the PC away, take out a bank loan, or take a dive into the Basingstoke Canal?
Throw the PC away, no,
Take out a bank loan, not likely,
Take a dive into the Basingstoke Canal, Yes!

After which, if all else fails replace or add a second hard drive and see what you can recover from the old one.
Phaliure
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Moved...why the double post?
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

the answer lies in Fdisk, take the fellowship and lead it to the prompt, and utter the mighty words into the ether, henceforth shall the world be cleansed and built anew

- so sayeth the wise alaundo
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.