gameless mobo

Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

garlando
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

gameless mobo

Post by garlando »

As most of you who were at SG15 will know I royally screwed my system, I now have it up and running again with a borrowed mobo, the abit KT7A. This one works but has an annoying set-back when you try to load a game, it restarts. `:/
Does anyone out there know how to stop it doing this?
If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

i know someone who has just spent 1.2gs on a new PC, radeon 9700 pro and everything, they have this same problem... i do not know what mobo he has though....
Moo!
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Got the latest via 4 in 1 drivers installed? ata100 controller drivers? gfx drivers? might be worth trying a BIOS upgrade if none of that helps.
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

BIOS update, that is what f00ked his mobo in the first place.
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

shrek wrote:BIOS update, that is what f00ked his mobo in the first place.
True, but I'd like to point out that noone should ever flash their BIOS at a LAN party. Especially when there are still people arriving and power problems (like your plug being pulled out) are likely. Tsk.

He could try finding the bast who yanked his cable and getting them to pay for it. It's unlikely he'll succeed though, as it's a fair cop the offender will use the (fairly relevant) comment of "yea, I know I was a git, but what the fuck were you doing flashing your BIOS?".

(all characteristics relating to lack of sympathy, bastardness and general unpleasantry remain copyright Kulgan, 2003)

K
Izzard
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Izzard »

Is that what happened then? He lost power while flashing? Oops.
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

Yeah that was what happened Izzard.
Kulgan wrote:(all characteristics relating to lack of sympathy, bastardness and general unpleasantry remain copyright Kulgan, 2003)
lol
garlando
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by garlando »

The culprit that caused all of this has been found (with the help of another multimeter). My PSU had a dodgey connection and when tilted at a very specific angle it cuts power momentarily and hence restarts the PC. When I was flashing my "Duel Bios" mobo someone sat down and leant on the table and tilted the power supply, the rest is history...

Beware all those with Gigabyte mobo's, check that there is indeed a second bios chip on the board (some models have a suffix not labled on the board which mean it is a slightly lower class board and doesnt have the second bios and a few other minor features like ISA ports :) ) , otherwise even though you can save to the secondary bios, when you need it, it will not be there!
If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life.