Windows Profiles mess up

Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Windows Profiles mess up

Post by uatec »

Our windows domain was working fine. Now, however, we have let individual users connect and log onto the domain using their own computer. This works, fine a user logs on to his personal computer using a public computer account... this not only reconfigures his PC to work exactly like a public workstation, but when he logs on to a real workstation again, it appears to be transfering some of the profiles back from the PC to the individual workstation...

has anyone seen anything like this before? Does anybody have any ideas??

Thanx
Moo!
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

'Our'? Active Directory? NT4? Which profiles? What? When? Why? How?
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

'Our'?
My Colleges
Active Directory?
Nope, just plain old SMB shared folders mount correctly for each user.
NT4?
Yup
Which profiles?
People have a profile for college machines, and a different one for their personal machines.
What?
when people log on to their own computer using the profile/account for their college machine, settings from the PC become stored in the profile,
Later when loging onto a college work station with a college machine profile, the settings from the PC express themselves on the workstation with unpleasant effects (unpleasant for all concerned)
When?
this has not been noticed before, however, we have never been in this situation before
Why?
If only I know.
How?
ditto
Moo!
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

You need to root around in your PDC policies, I'm sure one of them can stop it doing that.