INTEL & Compaq question (Ze Baron?)

Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

INTEL & Compaq question (Ze Baron?)

Post by rib? »

i've got a Proliant 800 (infact i've got 2 arnt i greedy) and i thought.. hell lets max it, i've got enough compaq EN and ENS's at work to butcher chips out of but i've been having trouble matching cpu's.

the proliants a P3-500 slot A and with the proliant 800 you get the power regulator on another board.. one for each processor
now every compaq of a similar age has them soldered directly onto the mobo. even the dual processor capable "professional workstation AP400" fine i thought.. no freebee. so i went out and got one.. quite cheap with prices ranging from £20 - £100 ... so now i had 2 power regulators (same part number) all i needed was 2 matching chips.

every p3-500 deskpro ens i opened (and you can tell from the serial on the case) had a 450 in (perhaps compaq clocked em before selling ;) ) so finally i found one 500..

on top of the chip it said 500/512/100/2.0V S1 next line was a serial number and a place.. Costa Rica.

when i got it home chucked it in it came up as 2 500's but came up as a mismatch.. i took the original chip out and it said

500/512/100/2.0V S1
a load of different numbers and Malay...

so my question is.. do the chips have to be from the same country to work properly and does anyone have another Malay chip :)
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
-------------------------------------------------
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

this sound like a DVD region type problem. They making stuff different just so that you have to pay them again to use stuff which you already have payed for, just not in the right way.

Poor them, they might lose out on their extortionate income. :(
Moo!
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

uatec wrote:this sound like a DVD region type problem. They making stuff different just so that you have to pay them again to use stuff which you already have payed for, just not in the right way.

Poor them, they might lose out on their extortionate income. :(
Uh. Monkey.

K
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

/me goes to halfords and buys a monkey bike
Moo!