Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Memory

Post by BoredAtWork »

Hi all,
Knowing as much as I do regarding computer hardware (Pete attest to this - no jokes please Mr Matthews) I thought I might ask for some advice before purchasing any new DDR memory.

I found some 512MB by Crucial for about £66 which seemed pretty reasonable. However, I noticed on the item description that it specifically mentioned the fact it was......

Un-Buffered,
Non-parity,

hmmm, I have no idea what this means and can't be arsed to troll the internet trying to find out. So the question is what do they mean? Actually the better question is should I give a monkeh's arse? :?

Also are there any other no no's I should look out for?

Cheers

Paul
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

You should be safe with this... Watch out for ECC (you don't want it), as only server boards generally support and/or need it. It's more expensive anyway.

As for other general no-no's, I'd avoid ripping integral parts off your motherboard off this time around ;)
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
BoredAtWork
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by BoredAtWork »

As for other general no-no's, I'd avoid ripping integral parts off your motherboard off this time around
Ah the birth of a comedy genius :? Anyway I told you it was an accident that could have happened to anyone, I just wanted to hoover my PC!!!!

ps Thanks!
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

I think I'm fairly safe in saying that unless you are running a Xeon or AMD FX based PC this is not an issue...
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs