Frustrating IIS

Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

alanp

Frustrating IIS

Post by alanp »

Hi,

If anyone has any ideas on this I'd be really grateful - it's driving me round the bend!

I have a LAN in my house, connected to the internet via a DSL router using NAT and DHCP. The problem is my computer appears to have an imaginary firewall! I can access the net, etc., as can all the other computers on the network. I can ping my computer's ip and other computers, but they can't ping me.

First thought: I must have a firewall - however, I've disabled windows firewall (XP SP2) and turned off ZoneAlarm but still nothing. This is really annoying as I'm trying to run a web server with IIS, which is inaccessible at the moment, presumable for the same reason.

Please help! :(
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

You don't have any dodgy VPN clients installed do you? They do some weird things sometimes.

As for no firewall, NAT does provide a firewall of sorts. It doesn't allow any incoming traffic unless it matches outgoing traffic to/from the same source.

If you want a web server on your PC to be visible to people on the internet, you will need to forward port 80 to your machine from your router.
LemonSHARK
pe0n
pe0n

Post by LemonSHARK »

Even though you turn the firewall off in XP (SP2) you will also have to enable 'Allow Incoming ICMP' somewhere in some advanced options. I think there's some option to allow port 80 somewhere too.