Throttling or blocking a port on a Router

Got a software or hardware problem? Ask your questions here

Moderator: SG Admins

Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Throttling or blocking a port on a Router

Post by Seahorse »

I have a Netgear RP114 which makes sharing the internet, files & printers in my house simple. It also allows head to head gaming & eases maintenance tasks on the Kids PC.

I rather unwisley connected my neighbour who pretty much swamps the connection in a Kazzaa frenzy like you never imagined. Short of pulling his plug, is there a way to either limit the bandwidth he uses (pretty much all of it ATM) or stop him completely at my leisure - i.e. when I'm playing online and don't want to be lagged to death.

He runs WinXP - so pulling the plug here means he knows what I have done and I'd rather didn't know - so a software solution would be cool.

I have spent days on the Netgear help site to no avail and have trawled lots of websites with no solution in sight.
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

If you've plugged him straight into the router, or a switch connected to, you've got no chance. If however you've got an intermediate machine, you may have a chance... what's the deal?

K
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

You know when you make one simple comment like "You dial up knackered again, I could hook you up..." anf then live to regret it...

Oh, straight into the Router...

Rgds
Mike

My DVDs
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

Seahorse wrote:You know when you make one simple comment like "You dial up knackered again, I could hook you up..." anf then live to regret it...

Oh, straight into the Router...
Then you've got no chance - unless your router's software allows you to limit bandwidth based on IP... but I expect that's unlikely...

K
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Arse... :evil:

Rgds
Mike

My DVDs
biggles

Post by biggles »

you could ualways use violence....

or make a server,
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

please strike that last comment from the record ("or make a server")...
Moo!
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

eh?
biggles

Post by biggles »

uatec that was a perfectly good statement, to throttle you need a device with a certain amount of intelligence, and as i understand it would be easier, and maybe even cheaper to make a server.
Sparks
pe0n
pe0n

Post by Sparks »

If you have allowed an "unknown" person to have access to your entire network by simply throwing a CAT5 cable over the wall to his house, then you will have broken the first law of networks.

Rule 1. Trust no one until they have been vetted as to what they want to do and what they want access to.
Rule 2. Install a firewall between the trusted and untrusted. Normally this would be between you and the internet, but now you have a third party. Install a firewall between you and them. I.e. that's TWO firewalls now.
Rule 3. When and only when, YOU as Admin have decided some one is safe and can be trusted to do something, then allow them to have access to ONLY the ports you will allow them to have access to by opening up the ports for them. Don't simply open up everthing!

NEVER work on the basis of giving everyone everything and THEN locking things down. It never works.

Always lock everything down and THEN open up just those bits you trust them to have access to. It makes it SO much easier to manage.

If you have any unprotected shared resources on your network then your next door neighbour will be able to see them too.

If you REALLY want to allow your neighbour to have access to your network, and thus the internet, PLEASE install another firewall / server between you and him. Then you will able to manage his connections better. Also your network will be more secure from them.
Politics: 'Poli' in Latin means 'many' and 'tics' means 'bloodsucking creatures'.
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Wrong kind of Port mate. I am talking about the one the plug goes into. THe Router has a firewall & I run a software one too. My concern is not access to my PC, he can only see what I want him too. My concern is internet bandwidth and the fact he hogs the damn lot. Moral of story - don't show newbies Kazzaa.

What I want to do is either limit the band with to the port his CAT 5 is hanging out of or cut him off completely at my leisure using software. If I simply pull the plug WinXP tells him what I have done...

Rgds
Mike

My DVDs
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

whats the problem with him finding out that he has been disconned?

its your connection that he is using...its 100% bonus for him...you should have no guilt whatsoever for cutting his access...
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

i meant, remove "make a server" and leave, "use violence."
Moo!