Natural selection

Write your reviews here, hardware, software, anything goes!

Moderator: SG Admins

NS or CS?

NS is much more involving!
100%
CS!!!!! im sick of comms who couldnt control an ant farm!
No votes

Total votes: 4

biggles

Natural selection

Post by biggles »

not really a review but i think it fits in here best.

how many of joo r playing the h/l mod natural selection? i havent been around lately doingother things but i saw a kulgan today and it turned out to be the one and only, i just wondered who else is playing and if they know any good servers.

im currently playing NPG (148.88.90.91:27015) as much as they will allow since it has stability problems to say the least. mainly cos i am on trial for that clan:>

if anyone sees -cG-Chef[T] (hopefully the T will go away sopon since it means trial) say ello;)
biggles

Post by biggles »

quote chief "how do you play it"

its a bsic aliens vs marines, you can imagien it being like c+c against the ants very easily, the marines can move their bases easily as long as they have a command chair for the commander to be in, the commander controls everyone and buys new buildings. the aliens cant move their bases, they have 3 places to build a hive on each map, if they have no hives, they all die slowly, the marines basically need to destroy the hives. and the aliens need to destroy the marines, which is hard cos as soon as you think youve got em, they have built a new command chair somewhere else and are starting up a new base:< for the laines to build you morph intoa gorge which can build a few buildoings and whatnots, including hives and res points. the more hives you have the more you can morph into and more special abilities you gets.

res points are like little vents in the ground, the gorge buiold a res point on it or a commander puts a res point on top, and a marine has to go and build it using his use key, as with all buildings. the commander can use the res to buy new wepons for marines, upgrades or new buildlings, the aliens "share" their res and it is used to morph, or for a goprge to build stuff,

i tried to make this a basic intro but i failed!
ZiK
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by ZiK »

how about a vote for 'dont care?' ;)
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

As much as Biggles is utterly useless at explaining it, Natural Selection is actually pretty darn good.

I usually play on the Blueyonder servers (password for all of em is 'snyb' btw).

Give it a go, but you really do need to RTFM before you start. And this isn't "you really need to rtfm before you play', but "you REALLY REALLY need to RTFM before you start" ;)
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

Not tried Natural Selection, though the good Sir Kul does sput a lot of bollocks about it every now and again ;)

For those who need more than CS, the new Rainbow Six game is about. It's a good version of CS. Honest.
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Is no-one else really tired of special forces games? Navy Seals for quake was quite good fun, but it just sucks that every mod these days is a CS-wannabee.

Natural Selection is a breath of fresh air. The fact you get to run around the walls and ceiling then bite marines faces off is rather good too :)

The big alien rhino thing still scares me tho =/ nearly shat myself last time one of em broke into our base :(
biggles

Post by biggles »

amen middy.

i havent touched cs since i got ns installed, cos quite frankly it cant hold a candle to it.

sorry for the pawning of the statement but... "youve got to try it to love it"

oh and i dont know if anyone else found this but i thought the slideshow was crap, for me to learn i just found someone i knew from cs that i knew had a microphone, and just p4wned them for info.

oh and btw, ignore the hint that says "if you are new to the game, you should try marine first", i am fecking sick of being a marine with a bunch of n3wbies and nop decent comm!

(if anyone finds a good comm'ing manual post a link in this thread!)

oh and its called an onos middy;)

whats everyones favourite combo?

lerk/regen/cloaking alllll the way, sit outside their base spray some umbrya and slowly work down their turrets:>
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

You cant really compare the two. CS is old but it's still gonna stay the most popular for a while yet because NS is too niche to take its audience. People slag CS for being popular, but the simple fact is theres nothing else out there at the minute that provides the same kind of satisfaction and variety.

The best way to describe NS is as a cross between the film Aliens and the board game Space Hulk. It takes a lot of perciverance, you cant just pop in for a few minutes cause its only through a lot of time and effort you achieve anything. It's full of great ideas and feels polished, apart from the odd occasion when you get stuck inside an object, but they have provided a cludged workaround for that as well (say "/stuck").

NS does indeed rock, although it could do with another version or two to be perfect. I'd like to see the inclusion of Marine vs Marine and Alien vs Alien maps, and new weapons - preferably a flamethrower but that might require a more upto date engine to do it justice.

So, this week, I have been mostly playing NS because its fresh and interesting, but i'll still play CS on occasion.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Oh, and here's some info on version 1.1:

NS v1.1 changelog
- More diversity of tactics, along with more play-time at the 2 and 3 hive stages
- Fewer stalemates
- Simpler resource model (multiple gorges will be viable)
- Faster and more intense gameplay (average game time in v1.04 is 22 minutes, v1.1 target is around half that, though epic games still possible)
- Commander improvements
- Hotgroups for soldiers and structures (soldiers are notified, "You are squad four"). Hotgroup icons blink when under attack.
- Warcraft III style "idle peon" messages
- Always draw player names for commander
- Much better hotkey support (fully customizable)
- Select all players button/bind

- Alien upgrade improvements (all paths viable)
- Sensory chambers are now automatically cloaked, and they cloak other alien structures in range (including hives, resource towers, offensive chambers, etc.)
- Movement chambers now give aliens energy, like defensive chambers give health. Unsure if teleport ability will stay.
- Silence upgrade now silences movement and attacks (it's incredibly eerie)

- HLTV support (including first-person view while waiting to respawn)
- VALVe Anti-Cheat (VAC) and Cheating Death (CD) support
- Changes to tournament mode to support CAL
- Collision improvements (no "jittering" when crouching on structures, structure hitboxes much more accurate, etc.)
- Skulk bite and machine gun muzzle flash obscure view less
- Improved demo record/playback functionality (particles, scoreboard, etc.). Demos recorded before v1.1 will still work in v1.1.
- Improved alien pop-up menu is simpler and more intuitive, context-sensitive cursor
- All known exploits fixed (frame-rate advantage, etc.)
- Fewer "stuck" issues with Onos and blink
- New Onos abilities allow him to stomp the ground to stun nearby enemies, then devour enemies whole (they are slowly digested, during which time they can be saved by killing the creature)
- Skulk model orients properly when running on wall! Possible option for transforming first-person view
- Lerk physics changes to make him easier to control
- Huge server performance improvements (should be around half the CPU usage)
- New marine technology: electrified turret factory upgrade, does damage to enemies touching factory
- New effects: sentries smoke when they fire, alien structures splatter goo when destroyed
- Updated existing maps for balance, performance and flow, and new maps (at least three)
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by DjArcas »

I'm waiting for it to become a Steam mod... then I might play it again. Good game tho, shows a lot of promise. Shame it's the fricken HALF LIFE engine tho :(
http://www.projectorgames.co.uk

The biggest multiplayer games in the world. Ever.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

NS v3.0 came out on Steam a few days ago mate :)
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by DjArcas »

/me runs steam (again)
/me looks at the list of available games (again)
/me closes steam (again)

Am I missing something?

mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I guess it's not being distributed on Steam (hardly suprising), it was splattered all over fileplanet main page last time I looked, it'll be available in all the usual places by now I should expect.
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by DjArcas »

I'll wait for it to become a Steam mod... ;)

It *is* suprising tho - that's what Steam is *FOR*, that's it's very purpose, it's raisin d'etre!

LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

V3 installs as a steam HL mod, but isnt distributed via steam... weird.

Anyways, not had much chance to try it much yet, if anyone fancies giving it a bash then give us a shout and we can set up a server or summit.