Decent laptop

Write your reviews here, hardware, software, anything goes!

Moderator: SG Admins

LemonSHARK
pe0n
pe0n

Decent laptop

Post by LemonSHARK »

I feel that the time has come again to upgrade, and since gaming is now possible on laptops, I want one.
I've only looked at an Alienware one (which is quite expensive) and a Dell one (which has a rubbish battery) so far.

Anyone got any suggestions?

PS don't suggest anything apple, please
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Laptops are still rubbish for gaming. I spent an awful lot of money on an Alienware which could play games for about 3 months before it started wheezing.

Laptops are rubbish gaming machines. Period.
LemonSHARK
pe0n
pe0n

Post by LemonSHARK »

have you got a 3ghz alienware? and it's slow?
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

My HP NX7000's what i cansider to be a good gaming lappy, plays Vietnam well enough for my missus to beat ZeBaron to the top of the scoreboards at the last lan :worhsip:

1.4cent, 512ddr, radion mobile 9200 (64meg i think) 15.4inch screen etc :D and its a generation old now, theres much better out for good money.

Ribbo
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

The problem that's the same with all laptops is that they suck for upgrades - completely useless. Basically, your lappy may be great for a bit, but as soon as the GFX card runs a little slow or the CPU's a little crap you're snookered.

That, and they run rather hot when you thrash em with games too.

K
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

wonder what the devaluations like after a year tho, but a new lappy flog it on after a year, rinse and repeat..
Nighted

Post by Nighted »

wouldent the solution be, when you notice this happening, reinstall your operating system and it'l run smooth again?

and if, if you can fit 2 hard drives in a laptop, then save all important infomation to the second hard drive.

that's what i would do, unless i had the money :D
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

after the aforementioned laptop's Hitachi Deathstar dieing at the end of the last event (under warrenty and to be fair in its short life it hasnt half had to work hard), i've learnt to cherish the manufactorers build CD's for you may never know when they come in use :D

Ribbo
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

^^nightmare^^ wrote:wouldent the solution be, when you notice this happening, reinstall your operating system and it'l run smooth again?
Erm, yes, the more times you reformat your PC the faster it goes...... :roll:

My 3ghz Alienware *was* blindingly fast at first, but as soon as the graphics chip starting slipping in the technology stakes it was crippled. It could play battlefield ok, most things 'ok', but it struggled with newer DX9 games, so I offloaded it before it started to lose too much value. Still took a hefty loss, but I got an absolutely bitching desktop with the money from the sale, for not much more than half the price of the laptop.....

If I do buy another laptop it'll just be for office/web/apps (probably a powerbook, cos I'm a materialistic weakling tbh)....
LemonSHARK
pe0n
pe0n

Post by LemonSHARK »

A desktop would be the obvious choice for performance, upgradability and temperature but laptops almost make a fair trade with low noise and size.
I'm not too worried about the laptop keeping it's performance as I've only got a 1.6GHz Athlon atm and I only play games at lans.
mid_gen wrote:absolutely bitching desktop with the money from the sale
Out of curiousity, what desktop did you end up with?
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

3ghz p4, 1gb dual ddr400, ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb, WD Raptor 10,000rpm HDD, Audigy 2, Hitachi 17" 16ms TFT, Coolermaster aluminium case.

Three times the performance for half the price....laptop really, really aren't worth it for games.

If you want a small machine you can take to LANs, get a shuttle PC and a TFT again, for half the price.
LemonSHARK
pe0n
pe0n

Post by LemonSHARK »

Bit of a beast you've got there! A shuttle pc is my second choice. They can come with built-in 54 MBit wireless lan now. Cheers for the help, i'll start looking at shuttles then!

Whatever it is I get, I hope I get more than 15fps when a DC Apache chases me at the next shotgun :D
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

Laptops are only worth having if you need the portability - and if you do go for low weight / long battery life above performance. The standard P4 desktop chips really aren't suitable for mobile computing... Chris used to bring the Alienware into lectures in the winter months to keep the room warm :) The Pentium-M chips are very nippy for their ghz, definitely top of the list when it comes to mobile computing.
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

I bought a P4 3Gig with a Radeon 9600 for gaming & DVDs in Iraq. Used to literally burn my fingers on the leyboard playing BF Vietnam, CPU gets so hot. Great for films though, 17" widescreen. BTW, finished my tour early there, so should be avilable in Sep, once I have forecast of events for new unit... :wink:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs