Coolest People...

By request....a forum for discussing your favourite/most hated music :)

Moderator: SG Admins

LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Coolest People...

Post by LazyManc »

Just been reading the NME cool list... (top 50 coolist ppl in music)

There are some blinding errors in there, like Kelly Fluffin Osbourne at 18?? Who the fluff are they kidding? And although I have great respect for the White Stripes, Meg White at 6 is silly too.

So ladies and gentlemen, it's now time to name your five coolest people of all time, living or dead.

I'll post mine when i've had a think.
biggles

Post by biggles »

can i be a moderator in this cos i did sorta think of it?

i dunno their names just the band names, but i will list my CURRENT fav listens.

1) Oasis.
2) Chumbawumba.
3) Electrasy.
4) Flip and Fill.
5) System of a Down.

beleive me, this changes EVERY day, my playlists are like dead fish, they float around with no self control.
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

your five coolest people
And again, just incase you missed it that time as well...
your five coolest people
:roll:

If ya want to carry on with the fave bands thread, make your own pls.
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

oh jeez is this a hard question

so many people for so many reasons

but if im forced to pick...

brian molko (Placebo, vocals)... the person that turned my entire life around

richard D james (Aphex Twin) ...utterly intriguing

Marylin Manson (Marylin Manson) ...and no im not a "manson fan" but i do find him also very interesting...very intelligent man shame about his fans eh

many others infact but i dont think they compare to these 3..many film score producers, but i cant pick one over the other...also some bands i find facinating but i dont know much about the people behind them..radiohead for instance are geniuses but i dont know much about them as people

also by definition any male singer who wears makeup usually gets my vote molko, manson, the guy from my vitriol, Ville Valo... etc
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.
biggles

Post by biggles »

yeah i like marylin manson:> im not a goth tho, i dont really look at the members, i just listen to the music and know it by the name of the band.

whoever wrote wait and bleed for slipknot i like:)
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

why??? cause they puke in their masks??? System of a down, I can understand, Linkin Park, I can almost understand, but wtf would anyone ever want to listen to that slipknot shit? It makes me laugh seeing 8 year old kids walk round in slipknot jumpers. I mean wtf has an 8 year old kid got to be angry about? The oppressive dinner lady regieme?
Sharpe
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

5 best ayyye

Post by Sharpe »

1) well it has to be bon jovi dont it
2) band wise i think drowning pool are strate in there at the top
3) now this is hard but im gonna say system of a down
4) Fozzy
5) Creed
I am the game and i make the rules, so move on out or you'll die like a fool.
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

my fave music stars have to be
1)Gotta b Ozzy
2)Kurt Kobain
3)Dave Williams
4)Jonathan Davis
5)Rany Rohdes

too many to chose from.
the guy who wrote wait and bleed was corey taylor btw
little kids in knot hoddies think they are being realy cool
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!! (you laugh at me cos i'm diferent, i laugh at you cos your all the same!)
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

LazyManc wrote:System of a down, I can understand
System of a down kick ass, though their second album wasn't nearly as good as their first...
LazyManc wrote:Linkin Park...
Good album, horribly overplayed by anyone who could get their hands on it. Not bad stuff though. And yeah, reanimation sucked ass.
LazyManc wrote:listen to that slipknot shit?
One of the funniest things in life : Reading festival '99 (I think), whne slipknot were playing. Hundreds of 13 year olds in 'knot shirts and red boiler suits, all making a point of being dressed like that cos they're individuals. Work that out.

Other than that... What Spey said, pretty much, though I go for intelligent lyrics and real insight over make-up, tbh ;)

Jonathan Davis (frontman for Korn, for those wondering)? Interesting question, cos at this point you have to start wondering about exactly what we're trying to get here. Certainly, he's written some amazing tracks, and there are few vocalists out there with as individual a style as him (Chino Moreno of the Deftones, and the good Mr Manson are the only examples that spring to mind), but a lot of his mussic is based on being a victim of circumstance. The basic fact is that, yeah, he was abused as a child, but does that make him cool, or does it simply give him more to draw on in his music?
biggles wrote:im not a goth tho

No need to be quite so scared... It's not necessarily a bad thing ;)

Back to the subject though, I'm a little suprised noone has yet come out woth Dave Grohl, of Foo Fighters/Nirvana/Queens of the Stone Age fame. Incredibly versatile guy, writing amazing tracks, playing guitar, singing and drumming. What more could you want? :)

Apologies for the vaguely wandering nature of this... I've had a few pints. I know one thing for sure though...

Chumbawumba blow goats. I have photographic evidence.
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

i agree that dave grohl is a very talented singer/giutarist/drummer. i just dont think that when i first got into my music that he has had a lot to do with it.

not only does jonathon davis sing and write some of the best songs that i have ever heard, he praticaly started the whole nu-metal thing. Also the other MM and Chino that you mention never can and never will be as good as the origional.

In actual fact there are too many people to have in just a list of five
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!! (you laugh at me cos i'm diferent, i laugh at you cos your all the same!)
Spey
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n
Location: behind you.... Harder than: Michael Dorn in heat baby!!

Post by Spey »

there are definatley alot of bands that influence me..but that belongs in another thread really

i think dave grohl is awesome..but as a person i cant say he has influenced me much in my life...and i had no idea he was involved with QOTSA they rock also...the lead singer sounds like grohl sort of..i dont know who he is tho is that grohl?

ps nick the naked bass players kick ass :D

and as for nu-metal...for those not in the know...once record producers realised there was a market for metal..they invented..or rather latched onto nu-metal as an easy way to make consumer oriented rock

as a rule i never usually listen to commercial based music

long live placebo for saying "fuck you" to the british charts

basically they released a song (slave to the wage?) as a single and were told it had too many b-sides to be eligible for the charts..so rather than releasing 2 separate discs as originally planned (1 with the single and lots of b-sides another with lots more b-sides) they said "fuck your charts then" lumped everything on 1 cd..put 2 more tracks in ..AND a video CD and released it at budget price..then promptly vowed never to try to get into the charts again HUZZAH

and hoodie kids suck...they are the reason shitty commercial rock like this prevails its now 'cool' to be a metaller..without having to know any of the reasons behind anything

and ps linkin park are n-sync with rock music as a backing...infact i heard a rumour the lead singer tried out for n-sync

POP with guitars ladies and gentlemen

</rant>

depeche mode are also very cool

as are the smiths (who can disagree with that)
narcissism, my only pleasure in life.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Right, I'm going to buck the trend here and name some non-rock/metal artists :D

First up, Bjork. I know some of you will be sniggering now but all her albums are really exceptional. Forget the spitting image gag, she's written some of the best electronic music of the last decade (Human Behaviour, Bachelorette, Joga, Venus As A Boy, Play Dead, All Is Full Of Love...the list goes on....)

Hmm, second place goes to Brian Transeau (aka BT), very good dance artist, 3 great albums (only one mainstream hit, Flaming June, which you'll all have heard). Poor bastard had most of the material for his new album nicked from his studio few months back tho =/

Sarah Cracknell. Saint Etienne, sounds it's age now, but still kicks ass, nuff said :)

mmm, can't think of any more at the moment, time for brekky :)
[/b]
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

1. Neil Young. If you don't know who he is, you know nothing about music.

2. Freddie Mercury. A Rock God and supreme showman.

3. Bono. Current rock God and showman.

4. Dave Gilmour. Genius.

5. Sting. Genius.
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
Seahorse
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by Seahorse »

Spey wrote: also by definition any male singer who wears makeup usually gets my vote molko, manson, the guy from my vitriol, Ville Valo... etc
So why didn't you put Boy George, Marilyn and Danny La Rue on your list... :?:
"And regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"

Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish, Deep Sea Daddies...

My DVDs
LazyManc
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by LazyManc »

After a lot of thought, I'd probably go with these five in no particular order...

John Lennon - clichéd but theres a reason for it.
Matt Bellamy - probably the most talented young musician around
Noel Gallagher - he gets a lot of stick but he's a lot better than people give him credit for, and he's not a complete cock like his brother.
Bob Dylan - classic songwriter
Paul Weller - matured like a fine wine
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

Well my coolest person in music has to be Rolf Harris...
Seriously - that wobbleboard kicks serious ass.

K
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Ok, on a different tune, I'd pick :

Van Morrison : his album Moondance (and the title track) are *pure* genius. Don't rate him as a person much (bit of a racist Irishman)

and now I'm going into town..
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

well, I wasn't going to post in this thread, favourite person in music (which changes now and then), hmm

Mai Kuraki - A Japanese woman you won't know anything about
biggles

Post by biggles »

japanese music sounds cool even tho you dont undertsand a fecked thing they're saying.
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

my cousin is a music producer, he does a lot of japanese music.
:mrgreen: