New console?

General console gaming discussion here

Moderator: SG Admins

Is this 'console' doomed to abject failure?

No, it's the best thing EVAR!!!!1
No votes
I already ordered one (Only mid_gen can answer this)
No votes
Mmm, pie.
43%
Well of course it is. They're fucking mad.
36%
It'll be stillborn like the ill-fated Indrema.
21%
It's a hoax, like IGN are surmising.
No votes

Total votes: 14

dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

New console?

Post by dogmeat »

This mob are pimping their new console; The Phantom; for a December 2003 release in the US.
They are clearly out of their tiny little minds. Or on crack anyway.
Seems to be a PC in a box that downloads broadband content.
As opposed to a closed system like X-Box (before you say it).
Why don't they just burn their money instead?

biggles

Post by biggles »

no-one will make games for it, end of.
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Phaliure »

I hadn't even heard of it till now so there aint any media hype yet,

It will flow,
I would like to thank the infinium team for coming and suggest they don't give up the day jobs, damn this is their day job.

Here have the wooden spoon

They can use it to snort coke before the next brainstorming session.
Phaliure
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

biggles wrote:no-one will make games for it, end of.
Why don't you actually take a look at the site before you make such a statement. Numbnut. :P And there was I thinking you were just misunderstood.
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

If this thing ever comes out it will be so expensive that no one will buy it.
biggles

Post by biggles »

its basically impossible to join the console market, x-box being the exception because microsoft was already a big company, this console has no chance,
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Phaliure »

Shall we phone them and warn them, maybee they will see the error of their ways and we could have saved them millions of dollars.

I am such a caring and thoughtfull person
Phaliure
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death
rib?
Uber-pe0n
Uber-pe0n

Post by rib? »

as usual www.theregister.co.uk has got a completly pointless and of no use to any one article on it

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28978.html

:roll:
-------------------------------------------------
|It's prostitution jim but not as we know it.|
-------------------------------------------------
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

The Reg is dull isn't it? I used to read it regularly, but found picking my ears was more fun.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I think Pete summed it up best with 'it's the Sun of the online world' :)
ZiK
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by ZiK »

so if i read the register, like reading the sun; am i a peon?
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

Yep, you embody all that is p33n.
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

its a very good idea, however i do think htat the console will not take off two well. it amy be broadband but will probably take ages for a game to download, especialy one the size and quality of a ps2\x-box\gamecube.
also conection will probably cost a bomb.
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!! (you laugh at me cos i'm diferent, i laugh at you cos your all the same!)
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

after reading the last paragraph of the register's article, i think that it wil fail becuase it has not advantages over the XBox, it simply is a PC with several features locked down...

what fool runs a console on windows... even made an effort to make an OS specifically for its console...
Moo!
fabian
Bitchin'-pe0n
Bitchin'-pe0n

Post by fabian »

consoles should stay consoles, not be computers.
X-box made it but only just because it has one or two good games.
Eat well, stay fit, die anyway!! (you laugh at me cos i'm diferent, i laugh at you cos your all the same!)
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

Eh? X-Box isnae a PC. Just like the PS2 isn't a PC. You can run Linux on both can't you?
PeteTheHair
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by PeteTheHair »

There appears to have been an outbreak of shite-talkage in this thread...
uatec wrote:what fool runs a console on windows...
Erm... Sega, actually. The Dreamcast runs a version of CE. Seems fine to me. Windows isn't an inherently bad thing, particularly of the hardware is of PC spec. Hell, if it was such a bad idea, noone would write games for Windows. There's no reason to beat down a potentially viable platform. Hell, it beats trying to code an OS/graphics library from the ground up.
fabian wrote:consoles should stay consoles, not be computers.
Erm... OK... So where does the distinction blur? At what point is a console not a console, or a computer not a console. And why should anyone care?
fabian wrote:X-box made it but only just because it has one or two good games.
K, so how does any console make it? It has good games. Noone says "That has no worthwhile games released for it, but it's cool anyway, I'll buy one". The XBox (imo) made it because it's a decent hardware platform, at a reasonable price, with a lot of companies developing for it. The same could be said of the PS2 and GameCube.

Incidentally, anyone conforming to the "That has no worthwhile games released for it, but it's cool anyway, I'll buy one" idea may be interested to know that the HairCube will be released soon, comprising a cardbox box and some cables. There won't ever be any software released for it, but it's cool, honest.
Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1"
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

PeteTheHair wrote:

Incidentally, anyone conforming to the "That has no worthwhile games released for it, but it's cool anyway, I'll buy one" idea may be interested to know that the HairCube will be released soon, comprising a cardbox box and some cables. There won't ever be any software released for it, but it's cool, honest.
So how much will a haircube cost pete? As it sounds so cool, and I must have one ;)
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

My opinion....

Post by DjArcas »

Good games maketh the console. End of story.

Both X-box and GameCube are doing pathetically - less than 100k units in the Uk so far, simply because the PS2 has the BEST games out there.

PS2 is the worst hardware spec with the best games. What touches Jak and Dexter? Vice City? GT3?

How many PS2s with GT4 sell?

I might consider an Xbox for Halo2... prolly just get Doggers round for a weekend of coop gaming instead.

But putting a high spec Pc in a box and calling it a console AND expecting it to run 'every' game out there? That's just plain insanity.

Xbox and Gc don't have game written for them due to lack of hardware sales which is due to lack of games which is... yeah.

At Criterion we'll do ports for GC and XBox - that's cheap, you don't need a full contingent of artists and coders - it costs about a million quid a year to fund a full development team - think we're going to do that for a market of 80,000 units? I think not. PS2 has sold some stupid number in the UK, 6, 7 million units or something - why the HELL would ANYONE write for another console?

Yeah, the xbox is a fuckload better. It's faster, it's got SO many beautiful, BEAUTIFUL features... but we don't games to show off what we can do - we write games to make money. Anyone who is selling games for any console except the PS2 is losing money now.

End of story.

The Phantom = Thumbs Down.
http://www.projectorgames.co.uk

The biggest multiplayer games in the world. Ever.
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Er

Post by DjArcas »

fabian wrote:consoles should stay consoles, not be computers.
You still playing substandard, buggy, crashy, ill designed games on your PC? I know I'm beginning to stop... there's a small cream of PC games that beat the shit out of most console games - Doom3, BF1942, SimCity 4, et al. But consoles have a great deal more games out there. And, in case you hadn't noticed, most publishers are moving away from the PC.

Microsoft buy Vivendi... never expect to see TF2, HL2, WC3, SC2 on the PC. Xbox needs those killer apps.

Bring on the consoles. Bring on the Ps3, with broadband conn. state of the art graphics that EVERYONE USES BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS THE SAME CHIPSET, bring on the new games. Bring on games that are stable, that have to go through a RIGOROUS quality check before they are released.

PC gaming will die in the next 5-10 years. Mark my words on that.
http://www.projectorgames.co.uk

The biggest multiplayer games in the world. Ever.