Nintendo get 0wned by the EU for price fixing

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Nintendo get 0wned by the EU for price fixing

Post by dogmeat »

This story tells of an €146m fine for price fixing from 1991 to 1998. As a long term Nintendo fan, all I can say is NO SHIT SHERLOCK. :shock: There's several N64 games I'd not bought due to the high prices, and countless SNES games I never got 'cause I couldnae afford 'em.

In other news, the PS2 has been declared undisputed winner of the current console 'war'. Again, No shit!

Edge Magazine have changed their tune rather though, in March their cover read 'FXXK-Why Edge swears by the X-Box'. And in the back of the current issue 'Next month- Why the X-Box is the new Dreamcast'. Feh! :?
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Re: Nintendo get 0wned by the EU for price fixing

Post by eclipse »

dogmeat wrote: Edge Magazine have changed their tune rather though, in March their cover read 'FXXK-Why Edge swears by the X-Box'. And in the back of the current issue 'Next month- Why the X-Box is the new Dreamcast'. Feh! :?
I think everyone gets at least a LITTLE bit hyped up with the release of a new console that looks like it could be the next big thing, and has the potential to be. XBOX has some pretty neat hardware in there, being a PC and all. I thought it would rock, but... only game I've played on it that made me go "woah" like Neo, was Halo. But then, I haven't played many of it's games.

/me shrugs
biggles

Post by biggles »

this is why i stick with pc, everything else changes way tooooo much, and most decent (and an awful lot of crap) games are on the pc, more are released than i can play/afford anyway.
dogmeat
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by dogmeat »

biggles wrote:this is why i stick with pc, everything else changes way tooooo much, and most decent (and an awful lot of crap) games are on the pc, more are released than i can play/afford anyway.
Every else changes? Consoles by their very nature are better to develop for, inasmuch as the goalposts aren't constantly shifting. The PC is anything but a stable platform what with its continual upgrade cycle. New CPU? Graphics card? etc. This rarely happens on consoles (sure you got the N64 expansion pak & the Mega CD, but they're notable exceptions).

You really are quite foolish, think about what you've written before you post it.
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

a thing I like about consoles is that once you've bought it it's gonna provide you with good game playing for about 2 years before another console comes out and kicks it's ass, or people stop developing for it.
PCs have always gotta be upgraded...not cheap.
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

Repeat ad nauseum : "X-box is not a PC"

Hmm, GC uses an ATI GPU, let's call that a PC too..

In reality, the fact that the X-Box is so powerful compared to other consoles, means that you can do some intensely cool stuff with it.

/me is still waiting for Xodus chip to arrive..grr

DivX player, Mame/Snes emulator, DVD player, X-Box gaming system, MP3/game archive. All in one neat little box.

Forget your spacewalker micro-PC cases, just get a modded X-Box :twisted:

And of course if you're an uber-beard, you can now install pretty much any Linux distro you want on it...quite why I don't know, but you can...
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

ok, how about "computer designed and including hardware optimized for games playing" ?
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

How about "Games Console" :?:
biggles

Post by biggles »

all valid points, but i neeeeeed my pc, how else would i stay in touch with you guys!

has made me think about getting another console tho, perhaps the next x-box,

i can see it now

*fuzzy*

midgen "whos up for some y-box lannage?"

*end fuzzy*

hmm, i NEED mouse though, how in gods name do you aim with them little buttons! thats why if i were to get anything, it would be a ps2 since you can plug in ure usb mouse, can you do this with x-box?
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

I'm sure you can plug a mouse into any console, whether or not is works in any games is another matter :P

The X-Box controllers are all USB so I should think if you splice a x-box usb connector onto it, a mouse will work fine.

In Linux.

I'm not suggesting ever dropping the PC as a gaming platform, it's got too many advantages (despite all it's flaws)
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

mid_gen wrote:How about "Games Console" :?:
damn, you win.
pffff. ;)
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

mid_gen wrote:Repeat ad nauseum : "X-box is not a PC"

Hmm, GC uses an ATI GPU, let's call that a PC too..
Also the CPU in the GC is a IBM chip the same one that is used by Apple,so lets call it a Apple instead. :P
biggles

Post by biggles »

god no wonder no-body bought em!

i would say that nintendo is the console for the 'younder' player, not much blood and guts and such, but the games are still very good.

MMMmmmMMMmmmMMMmmMMM

my mates snes used to OWN, he had all the cool games, mario, he had the one where you can actually RIDE yoshi!!!!!

oh the good old days:<
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

biggles wrote:god no wonder no-body bought em!

i would say that nintendo is the console for the 'younder' player, not much blood and guts and such, but the games are still very good.
Oi! :evil: I own a gamecube and there nothing wrong with them. Hmm not much blood and guts u not played Resident Evil on gamecube then?Also it has one of my fav games of all time on it Super Monkey Ball.
biggles

Post by biggles »

they make very good games, i didnt know that res evil was on the gamecube, but i still think that if i had to own one it would be the ps2 because people just make more games for it:<

would love to buy an nintendo 64 at some point tho and play all the classics, maybe even a snes.
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by shrek »

biggles wrote:but i still think that if i had to own one it would be the ps2 because people just make more games for it:<
It may have more games but most of them are rubbish, and most of the good games will be coming out on xbox next year anyway with extra features and better graphics.Also the xbox is cheaper than ps2 by ten pounds.One last thing there will 200 games for xbox by the end of this year and another 300 in development so ur people make more games for ps2 isn't true.
eclipse
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

Post by eclipse »

if you gave me enough money to buy one console and 1 game for that console...

I would buy a PS2 and Metal Gear Solid 2

I can't wait for substance, somebody pls confirm that it is still coming out on PC.
shrek
Ultra-pe0n
Ultra-pe0n

metal gear solid 2: substance

Post by shrek »

I think it still coming out on PC,also on xbox,ps2 and gamecube.
biggles

Post by biggles »

it is:> i saw the trailer at a fellow gamers house, looks AWESOME
mid_gen
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by mid_gen »

How about X-Box and MGS2:Substance? I Guarantee nothing will be different, oh, apart from the better graphics :)

It's only a matter of time before a PSX emulator appears for X-Box....GT..mmm