Mains Networking

For all your random waffle

Moderators: Seahorse, SG Admins

Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Mains Networking

Post by Phaliure »

Anyone know anything about networking through your home sockets??
My dad is about to become the first UK supplier for this company and we don't really know if it is anygood,
there is a big fuss being made about it in america and people love it. Just wondering if perople had seen it or understood the tech side
Phaliure
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

Any details?

K
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Phaliure »

Yea, sorry I missed these out:

http://www.gigafast.com
http://www.homeplug.org

Only 14mb al opposed to 100 available at the mo but the technology will become more advanced.
Phaliure
biggles

Post by biggles »

my freind used similar technology to get dialup in his room, worked a treat.
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Phaliure »

cool, that was what I was after, just someone to say they had heard or seen of it working.
Phaliure
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Post by Kulgan »

Sounds like a clever idea.

Just one question - are there any technical issues with 110V and 220/240V supplies? All the products I can see there are for American supplies.
Now I know your Dad's about to become the "first UK supplier", but "supplier" means to me "I buy a product and sell it". Is he buying the underlying tech and building it into a finished product, or is he buying the finished product?

Netgear uses the same technology for some US products, but haven't yet moved to using it for their UK market. It's a simple question - why haven't Netgear done it in the UK yet? Netgear are usually fairly quick on the uptake on these things...

Apologies if I'm missing something fundamental, but I don't understand the underlying technology, so I'm grasping at straws a little.

K
DjArcas
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

hmm

Post by DjArcas »

Jaysus, this is some old technology. It's crap, slow and awful, and it's been around about 15 years. I'm guessing it's come along some. Er, if he's going to be selling it, recommend he get some demo kit?
http://www.projectorgames.co.uk

The biggest multiplayer games in the world. Ever.
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Phaliure »

We orderd demo kits of all their products, and It has only just started being made in 240v version.

I see what you mean about netgear e will see what the kit is like, and yes he is getting the finished product at middle-manless prices and selling them on as he wishes, officially he will probably be distributing for gigafast themselves.

And your right it is slow at 14mbps, but I use 11 for wireless all the time and it don't worry me or many other people all that much
Phaliure
Kulgan
LAN Admin-Monkey
LAN Admin-Monkey

Re: hmm

Post by Kulgan »

DjArcas wrote:Jaysus, this is some old technology. It's crap, slow and awful, and it's been around about 15 years. I'm guessing it's come along some. Er, if he's going to be selling it, recommend he get some demo kit?
You've got to remember who the target market is. It's not tech wizzes like us, it's families with 2 computers that want to share the net connection without stretching wires all the way across the house. Much easier to use a solution like this. :)

K
uatec
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by uatec »

I have not been able to find out how much a system like this costs? Is it comparable to WiFi?
Moo!
mr blonde
pe0n
pe0n

Post by mr blonde »

Right,

Yes i do know quite abit about this, i have know the situation and how much its costs and the problems with it.

Yes the basic technology has been around for 15 years as it is used by most Gas and Electric supplies to keep an eye on you! The old system was very slow and could only really be useful for small amounts of data as i think that the baud rate is about 2400 or 9600.

America has had it for ages (see X10.org) but obvisously there are some problems over here with our 240 volts supply. Companies over here are still developing their systems but our current specfication system (CE marking) is causing it a few problems.

The old draft of the specfication has no information about the new systems so basically the product at the mo cant be released as there is nothing to check it against. The specification should be released sometime in the near future as it has been "round the corner" for well over 2 years!

Another problem with X10 is that it operates at a frequency we cant use over here as it would interfere with current specification limits, therefore these specifications are also being re-written as we speak.

The cost, well to make it cost $2 per module with up to 10 M/bits/s so it cheap and cheerful!

So, yes the technology is here but as normal we cant take it as our british system is naff at getting anything done.

One final thing if any of you are interested the specification is ETSI TS 101 896 and ETSI TS 101 867. Also i know all of you will be wanting to abuse me for knowing really pointless information, so before you kill me remember 2 things;
1= Im doing a final year project on it (sort of anyway!)
2= I worked in the same industry as i spoke about!

I hope this has made your day better, it certainly hasnt made mine any better!
The debate continues...
Who is more attractive?
Wilma or Betty?
Phaliure
Mega-pe0n
Mega-pe0n

Post by Phaliure »

mr blonde wrote:The cost, well to make it cost $2 per module with up to 10 M/bits/s so it cheap and cheerful!
What I am getting hold of runs at 14mbps and has been sorted to work through 240v but we will see how it fares up.

I will let you all know if it is worth a second look and I might have some lying around at some stage that people can play around with.
Phaliure